Nitro conversion

Frank Hiller Jr.

2018 Brewer of the Year
I have been a big fan of nitro beers for quite a while. Been thinking about converting one of my taps to nitro.

Who here has done it? What kind of advice can you offer?

I've done it. My advice is to definitely do it.
1. Pick up a stout faucet.
2. Get a nitro tank with beer gas (75% nitrogen/25% CO2), I got mine from SJ Welding Supply in Maple Shade.
3. Make beer.
4. Carbonate beer to only 1.1 - 1.3 vols
5. Hook up the nitro and set to approx. 35 PSI
6. Pour with faucet all the way open, and watch the sexy bubble cascade effect.
7. Invite friends to enjoy

I agree with Matt. Do it. Do it now! It can be finicky in regards to the pour. Just keep it clean. Don't go more than a few days without pouring a little through it. Mine is in my garage where there are temp changes, but anyone I know that has it in their house has less issues. I've had stouts, porters, esbs, etc on there and all are fun and tasty.

And nitro tank!

I have a nitro set up and like it though must admit I don't use it enough. Just tapped my oatmeal stout which I think I should put on the nitro tap.

Matt Talbot said:
[post]1765[/post] I've done it. My advice is to definitely do it.
1. Pick up a stout faucet.
2. Get a nitro tank with beer gas (75% nitrogen/25% CO2), I got mine from SJ Welding Supply in Maple Shade.
3. Make beer.
4. Carbonate beer to only 1.1 - 1.3 vols
5. Hook up the nitro and set to approx. 35 PSI
6. Pour with faucet all the way open, and watch the sexy bubble cascade effect.
7. Invite friends to enjoy

Now that's an enticing description!

The beer gas tank lasts longer since you won't be using it to carb with and usually just have one line hooked up to it. Be careful, cause even though the tank looks the same, don't drop it for it would cause a lot more damage.

Back