Local Yeast Project

Frank Hiller Jr.

2018 Brewer of the Year
Found these guys through a rebel homebrew store email.

http://bootlegbiology.com/local-yeast-project/

What they say about it.

The french call it “terroir”, we call it the Local Yeast Project.

Bootleg Biology is the first organization to pioneer the collection and cultivation of official local yeast strains for every U.S. postal code and country across the globe, beginning with the original S. Arlingtonesis.

If you want to make a truly local beer, you’ve got to have a local yeast. And with that local yeast you can make a beer with a taste and aroma that is totally unique to where you live or travel. Every region across the globe is chock full of unique and wild yeast ready and willing to make a lunch out of your barley sugar.

To get started on your journey, check out our DIYeast section or pick up a Backyard Yeast Wrangling Tool Kit.

The below LYP Culture tables represent the growing list of captured wild samples that have officially been cultured and banked in Bootleg Biology’s diverse library.

You could be the next yeast wrangler featured on our Contributors Page – Check out the Become a Contributor page to become a part of Bootleg Biology!

Yeah, that guy gave a presentation at the last two NHC's. Really interesting stuff, most of it drinkable too (he passed around his goods at the conference.) He also gave out petri dish's and a little culturing kit, encouraging us to send cultures his way.

Yep cool stuff.. I'm going to attempt to isolate some wild yeast and bacteria this summer. The ultimate goal is creating a blend of bugs that is local and more importantly tastes good.

Problem is been nearly 20 years since I did any bench work.

If you need help mike, or anyone else, let me know. I've cultured up stuff from my yard, and have a sample I'm waiting for the weather to improve to send out to him.

Sounds good Dan, might pick your brain.

I have one benefit, I can most things at work. I have access to a hood and an autoclave, plus sterile pippites and tubes etc. So I can make media, collection tubes and pour plates here at work. I'll get killed if I bring wild yeast in here though! I might be able to bribe someone to do this as well.

So all I need to set up a mini lab at home, where I can streak out plates and some other basic things.

I also need to get a scope and a hemocytometer at some point as well, so I can ID and cell count. Do you have a scope Dan?

@mike,
No, I don't have a scope...on my list of things to get eventually.
I have glass plates and a pressure cooker. I "autoclave" plates and media in the pressure cooker, and streak plates out from there. I usually go 3 generations of single colony plating to assure a single strain. I've only done this once for back yard yeast, but have banked a few commercial strains this way. You don't need a hood and scope, but they would be cool to have.
This guy's videos are great for home lab work if you are new to it (I know you're not Mike).
Your Home Yeast Lab Made Easy Serie...w.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... XJfTaMtRXE[/url]

Is it safe to assume this 'scope' a basic microscope?
I've got one I could loan out. I'll check the magnification (3 settings) tonight.

@John.. Yep nothing fancy yeast are large.. Mostly to ID yeast species, can use it for cell counts but really not necessary for our level.

@Dan great video series...

Back