Kilkenny clone

Jacob Callahan

Found a kilkenny clone recipe, was thinking of brewing it, however real kilkenny is a nitro, if I were to keg this clone, would I "carbonate" it by the same procedure, but just use the nitro/co2 mix gas?

Or just carb it and serve it with regular co2?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The question is can you can serve it on nitro?

If not, don’t worry about trying to mix in the blend, you’d just have a less carbonated beer. The blend tanks are for serving beer, mainly if you want to put pressure above 15 pounds to push beer out and not over carbonate it.

Sweet! I love Kilkenny. Let me know how it is.

General idea for nitro then is to only partially carb it, then hit it with the nitrogen and shake the hell out of it. In my experience, it takes a bit more work to get the nitrogen into the beer. And when you tap it and start pouring make sure your pressure is 30-34 psi. You want more pressure to push on nitro to create that sexy cascading head.

Depends on how you nurmally carbonate your kegs, and how quickly you want the beer ready. I generally just keg my regular beers and leave them on gas at serving pressure. It takes about a week to 10 days to be perfect.
With Nitro beers, I'll start the same, but after about 5 days I'll switch the gas to the Nitro mix. It'll take a bit longer to get fully nitrogenated, but I'm OK with that.
Also, besides the nitro tap and the nitro gas, you'll also want a much longer serving line. If you try to push beer out your shorter lines at 30+ pressure you'll have a mess on your hands.

If you don't have a nitro tank but want a "faux" nitro effect but have an extra CO2 tank ... Here is what I have done.... BTW you WILL waste a lot of CO2 this way....

I have low carbed the beer in the keg. When ready to serve I blast the keg with 30-35 psi and poured it through the stout faucet. When done serving I would then bleed the pressure out of the keg so it doesn't start to carb it again.

Unfortunately sometimes after drinking several in a night you forget to bleed the pressure from the keg and within a week you end up with a regularly carbed beer.

So not ideal... But it can be used to test beers you might think would be great on nitro before carbing them to normal levels.

Back