Counterflow vs Plate Chiller

• Counterflow

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Plate Chiller

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Good old copper coil

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
I use a basic immersion chiller that is too small for my boil kettle. (When I bought it I was still using a 10g Polarware; that is now my HLT and I have a 15g. Megapot.) I built a Jamil-style whirlpool arm to keep the wort moving during chilling, and this has reduced my chilling time significantly. Not to mention the nice pyramid of trub in the middle of the kettle. I also picked up an inexpensive SS coil to use as a prechiller in the hot weather.

As others have mentioned, my biggest concerns with counterflow and plate chillers is that you can't verify that they are completely clean inside. I know plenty of people use them successfully, but it makes me nervous. I plan to continue to explore ways to make my immersion chiller more efficient -- I do plan on upgrading to one that is a better fit for my bigger boil kettle, perhaps a custom made one.

on this point, i am with jamil and tonsmiere. i have 50 ft immersion coil with a third arm to whirlpool. plus, i have a 25 ft coil as a pre-chiller with 10-20 lbs of ice.

Back