Brew Pot Recommendations

Bill Walsh

All,

Hate to clog the forum with too many questions, but I am looking to invest in a stainless steel brew pot/kettle. Looking to typically brew 5 gallons at a shot.

I've noticed stainless pots as high $150 and as low as $30.

I welcome all recommendations and places to putchase.

Best,
Bill

I'd suggest a 7-8 gallon pot. Gives you enough room for a full boil. I have 2 welded ports for a thermometer and to pump thr wort out. I find both very handy, especially the port for draining.

At least a 7 gallon pot, 8-10 preferable. 2 valves ports welded or weldless, one for draining, one for whirlpool. Tri-clad bottom also preferable (Less chance of scorching).

After using an 8 gallon for a number of brews, I'd suggest 10 gal. A typical 5 gallon batch is 7 gallons going into the brew pot, and that leaves little room for error (or boil overs). I make the 8 work, but it's almost too close. The height to width ratio affects the boil off amount, and if you have a wider pot then the boil off will be more, and that makes the starting amount more than 7 gallons. I average about 1.5gal for a 60 min boil, leaving me with 5.5 gal.
Keep an eye on homebrewfinds.com. They regularly find kettle deals, but don't see anything at the top of the list now.

When i started I used a 7.5 gallon aluminum kettle..for probably over a year. No fittings nothing fancy. As mentioned above it got full...like if it were a drink you would need to sip before picking it up full..but I made it work.

The great thing about brewing is that you can succeed with less than you think and you can fail with more than you need. get what makes sense for your budget, storage capacity, etc.

you can always sell and go bigger and better.

Ryan Cochrane said:
When i started I used a 7.5 gallon aluminum kettle..for probably over a year. No fittings nothing fancy. As mentioned above it got full...like if it were a drink you would need to sip before picking it up full..but I made it work.

The great thing about brewing is that you can succeed with less than you think and you can fail with more than you need. get what makes sense for your budget, storage capacity, etc.

you can always sell and go bigger and better.

My switch to propane came with a 7 gal pot, and while the package price was right, $125 for 100% stainless pot & burner, I soon found the 7 was too small. The 8 was a NB sale on the Mega 1.2 pots, and now I wish I'd gone with the 10. Spending $20-30 more then is certainly better than $100 (or so) in addition. The effort to move fittings, or cost to buy more is certainly a factor too.

I use a 9 gallon pot fron more beer with 2 ports that i got for $90.
But , i recommend a 10 gallon pot. If you are doing a 90 minute boil. You need more than 7 gallons to go into the pot. You just have more head space with a 10.

Back