Big Brew Day - May 2, 2015

Rhonda Hobbs

Big Brew Day May 2, 2015
Our biggest event of the year is quickly approaching, just 12 days away! Not to mention this is the 5th year that the club will be hosting the event. Brewers, it’s time to show off your brewing skills, share some lessons learned, and be a mentor to those who are new to the hobby.
I know everyone has been eagerly awaiting all the details of the BIG day and here they are!

Location: Iron Hill Brewery (back parking lot) 124 E Kings Hwy, Maple Shade Township, NJ 08052

Parking: there is plenty of parking behind the event or worse case across the street at BJs Club or ACME, please do not park in front of Iron Hill to accommodate their patrons the day of the event.

Guests: the event officially starts a 9am and you are welcome to enter the event. All guests must be 21+ years of age to be inside the event. This is an all-day event so feel free to bring a comfortable chair to hang out with the brewers as they brew. Don’t forget the sunscreen and snacks!

Brewers: Be sure to bring all your brewing supplies. Temporary parking will be available to unloading equipment. Please move your vehicle as soon as you’re unloaded so that others can unload. We will be setting up chilling stations and electrical outlets throughout the event. Tent locations will be sent out soon. Tents are in high demand and very limited this year. I would recommend networking with your fellow brewers to secure a tent if needed. If ordered, ice will be delivered at 9am and wort will be released at the back door of Iron Hill at 10am). To maintain your stamina feel free to roll a grill out and fire up some good eats!

Big Brew Day Food Competition 2015: Since so many people had fun with the condiment competition last year we decided to have another homebrew-based food competition. Details will be posted in a topic on the forum (viewtopic.php?f=7&p=681#p681) where [mention]Kevin Kru[/mention] or [mention]Kyle McHerron[/mention] will respond to your questions.

Iron Brewers: Once again, the Iron Brewer competition will be tied to the Big Brew wort that Ruby is mashing for us. Unlike last year, however, there will be no secret ingredients or other last-minute surprises. This year the challenge is simple: be creative in your inspiration and solid in your technique! Good luck everyone, and please post any questions or concerns on the forum! (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=125)
Note: the Iron Brewer is voluntary, you may purchase and use Ruby's wort without entering the competition.

General event items: This year we will have 3 live bands performing, raffles that will out-do last year including a 50/50, and a really noble theme this year.

If you have any questions about the event day feel free to post them on the forum topic here.

Have Fun and Let’s Brew Some BEER!!!

Rhonda Hobbs
Event Coordinator
Barley Legal Homebrewers

Rhonda,

Where can I purchase tickets for BBD? I saw them in the store earlier and now I don't see anything there except for purchasing memberships.

20 more tickets have been released through our online store (originally allocated for walk-ups). First come first serve!

There will still be a handful of tickets for walk-up guests the day of.

I would recommend confirming your guests and purchasing online today.

Please Note: event shirts and glasses will be given out to post registration guests while supplies last. Shirt sizes can not be guaranteed post registration.

[mention]Nick Mariano[/mention], you might reach out to [mention]Blake Butler[/mention], [mention]Dave Greenbaum[/mention], & [mention]jimfish[/mention]. They have a tent but are only pouring, not brewing. I bet they could squeeze you in.

Rhonda, I doubt that I'm going to be able to brew that day. I'll still be coming to hang out with the family for a little bit! So, I won't need a space, and the wort. I'll just float for a bit. I don't want to complicate things with a refund for the wort, so you can just donate it to another brewer in need. :)

Dave Greenbaum said:
Hold on, here. Nobody asked me anything. I didn't agree to sit near Fish. :)

Dave, if I was you. I'd bring a curtain to install between you. This way you don't have to look at him. :lol:

AndrewTasso said:
Rhonda, I doubt that I'm going to be able to brew that day. I'll still be coming to hang out with the family for a little bit! So, I won't need a space, and the wort. I'll just float for a bit. I don't want to complicate things with a refund for the wort, so you can just donate it to another brewer in need. :)

Ok, sounds good and thank you for your generosity. I'll find a good home for it!

timwood said:
Anybody know the grain bill for the wort? I would like to get my recipe going.
Thanks

Tim, if you are referring to Iron Brew? Brian has all the details in a seperate topic. You can get to it from my original post.

Hope that helps.

timwood said:
Anybody know the grain bill for the wort? I would like to get my recipe going.
Thanks

It was reported earlier that it would be a simple 2-row pale malt with a pre-boil gravity of 1.060. Nice base that you can do a lot with.

I have a tent I can bring if it isn't too late and the layout is already set. Let me know if it would be helpful.

I've been wanting a canopy tent to go over my little patio at home, so if I have time this weekend I might go out and buy one. Otherwise, if the weather is nice, I don't need a tent, if the weather is bad, I'll skip the brewing and I can help out the other volunteers if need be.

I know its technically not a beer serving event, but of course that really is another part of BBD. Are we going to have advance sign-up for bringing kegs?

Michael Dempsey said:
I know its technically not a beer serving event, but of course that really is another part of BBD. Are we going to have advance sign-up for bringing kegs?

At this time there is no plan. If your not brewing you can buddy up someone else.

Back