Search results

1. John Pursglove

Kölsch Tips? Yeast suggestions?

It will go it will just take a while.
  2. John Pursglove

Kölsch Tips? Yeast suggestions?

I make a Kölsch a few times a year. I just kegged a batch last week. I have used both Llalemand and K-97 dry yeasts. I prefer the Fermentis personally. I found the Lallemand Köln to take even longer. I pitch 2 packs for 5 gallons and ferment about 60 until the krausen starts to drop which...
  3. John Pursglove

Interested in being a full time pro brewer?

My friend Chris over at Red White and Brew texted me asking if I knew of any brewers looking for work. They are looking for a full time head brewer. http://redwhiteandbrewbeercompany.com/available-positions/c39f4bef-bdf8-4806-b7b9-5dc60ab69104
  4. John Pursglove

Barrel Preperation

I ended up boiling about 5 gallons of water poured it in the barrel and on the outside. The oak soaked it right up and the outside dried quickly. kept the boiling water in there for an hour or so and dumped. Racked the beer in shortly after and had no leaks.
  5. John Pursglove

Barrel Preperation

I got a 5 gallon rye whiskey barrel for Christmas. I brewed an imperial type red ale about 9%. I had a few questions about getting the barrel ready to use. I know some people say to fill with water. Should the water be hot or boiling? Supposedly the whiskey was not dumped too long ago but...
  6. John Pursglove

Mead question

Hi Brian. Thanks I appreciate the guidance on this. Yes it is the same mead.
  7. John Pursglove

Mead question

Thanks for all the info. I ended up putting 2 gallons in a keg and lightly carbonating and also put 3 gallons in a carboy to bulk age.
  8. John Pursglove

Mead question

I made a semi-sweet mead FG 1.0.15 @ 10.5% with Hawaiian Lehua honey and Sundew yeast. I really like it. I have it cold crashing now. I tried a little sample tonight when it was cold and still. I really enjoyed it. I am wondering if a mead at 10.5% would be good carbonated and kegged or...
  9. John Pursglove

Duotight Fittings?

Brian I think the Flex seal would work great. Duo tight seems nice but I think what Matt did with the ball lock connectors is even better if you already have ball lock fittings all over the place then it makes sense. That is the way will I go when I upgrade my keezer one day.
  10. John Pursglove

Stuck Hex Nut on Beer Line

Or you could put in an empty keg to hold it while turning with a wrench. The idea here is to somehow hold the coupler while you loosen the nut.
  11. John Pursglove

Stuck Hex Nut on Beer Line

Flip it upside down and clamp it in a vice to hold it while you use a large wrench. You can also extend your wrench with a piece of pipe on the end for more leverage when you have it clamped down.
  12. John Pursglove

How to Make Mead - Demo Day - SATURDAY MARCH, 20 Time: 10:00 AM

Thanks Matt. It's got way more Co2 in it now.
  13. John Pursglove

About two weeks ago I racked my 5 gallon batch from my fermonster into a 3 gallon carboy and then two 1 gallon jugs all glass with very little headspace. This was after back sweetening with more honey I got the gravity up to about 1.018 about three days before the transfer. About a week before...
  14. John Pursglove

Once in a Lifetime Brewery Opportunity

Glad you are feeling better John.
  15. John Pursglove

3rd Annual Garden State Homebrew Competition

Awesome congratulations Nathan and John!
  16. John Pursglove

Thanks again Ron this information is very helpful.
  17. John Pursglove

So i Googled and found honey is 35 ppp so divided by 5 gallons = 7 points added per pound. I'm not looking for a super sweet mead so I will probably add about a pound after I stabilize the mead. Can I just rack off say a gallon of finished mead into my secondary carboy and dissolve the honey...
  18. John Pursglove

Hi Frank. Thank you. So another question to raise gravity how much honey to add say 10 points to 5 gallons.
  19. John Pursglove

Hi Ron. I am measuring a PH of about 3 FG 0.995 taste is very dry. 8.1% I have 5 gallons of mead. I have K meta in the powder form. Another question after adding Kmeta and stabilizing in primary let that sit for a day or two can I rack onto some honey to back sweeten without stirring?