Supplies Options.

John C

South Jersey FC Member
With the closure of Philly Homebrew Jersey, there are no outlets in S Jersey that I know of to get supplies (grains, yeast, hops, equipment) . What do others do or plan to do to? Drive over to Philly or Northern Brewer?

With the closure of Philly Homebrew Jersey, there are no outlets in S Jersey that I know of to get supplies (grains, yeast, hops, equipment) . What do others do or plan to do to? Drive over to Philly or Northern Brewer?
I believe they, Philly Homebrew, have scheduled pick ups for orders at Tonewood Oaklyn. I'd call them for specifics, but their mailing list said as such.

Personally I've stayed away from NB as much as possible. I don't brew as much beer. Therefore it's more reasonable for me.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fermented in Hammonton is still open, and there is PHO in West Philly, BYOB in Havertown, and of course Keystone in Montgomeryville. And a few others if you want to drive even further (such as Artisan out in Downingtown, and Brew Hardware up in No. Jersey, etc.)

I find it utterly stunning that, with the number of people in the club and the number of homebrewers in the area in general, that we couldn't keep one LHBS in operation. It's actually pretty pathetic, to be blunt.

That's all I'm going to say about that...

Fermented in Hammonton is still open, and there is PHO in West Philly, BYOB in Havertown, and of course Keystone in Montgomeryville. And a few others if you want to drive even further (such as Artisan out in Downingtown, and Brew Hardware up in No. Jersey, etc.)

I find it utterly stunning that, with the number of people in the club and the number of homebrewers in the area in general, that we couldn't keep one LHBS in operation. It's actually pretty pathetic, to be blunt.

That's all I'm going to say about that...
I agree. It is surprising that there isn't enough demand to support a retail outlet in this area. Impact of NJ new MW law, higher rents, taxes, on line competition,???? This is now the second to close. Might be informative to survey our members to see where they have been buying their ingredients, and why.

I will admit to buying some equipment online, but not because of price-shopping -- it's usually more a matter of wanting things I cannot get locally.. For example, at the time I bought them, neither my SS BrewBucket nor my Anvil Foundry were available at PHO. (Although they started carrying both not long after!)

But I ALWAYS buy my ingredients locally, unless I need something that NONE of the local shops carry. (And TBH, it's been very rare that I needed anything that none of the local shops carry.)

There are some grains I like to use that PHO didn't stock regularly (pale chocolate, the various Carafas and Caramunichs, etc.) so I would take a run to Keystone and grab a pound or two of each of them so I'd have them in my inventory.

My first thought was not "let me see if MoreBeer has them", it was "what other local store can I go to for these?"

Hops are fairly easy to substitute (for the kinds of beers I make, anyway!), so no issues there.

I would get annoyed sometimes when a certain yeast wasn't available, in either Imperial or Omega, but I also understand the difficulties of ordering and storing *every* strain at all times. Especially during the height of the pandemic. I would sometimes substitute, or change the beer I was going to brew to something that used a yeast that I could get that week.

In the end, the folks buying everything online might be saving money today, but screwing themselves in the long run... Amazon, MoreBeer, NB, etc. can't help you when you've just mashed-in and realize something is missing or broken and you need to make a run to the homebrew shop to salvage your brewday. :(

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HOMEBREW SHOPS!

I will admit to buying some equipment online, but not because of price-shopping -- it's usually more a matter of wanting things I cannot get locally.. For example, at the time I bought them, neither my SS BrewBucket nor my Anvil Foundry were available at PHO. (Although they started carrying both not long after!)

But I ALWAYS buy my ingredients locally, unless I need something that NONE of the local shops carry. (And TBH, it's been very rare that I needed anything that none of the local shops carry.)

There are some grains I like to use that PHO didn't stock regularly (pale chocolate, the various Carafas and Caramunichs, etc.) so I would take a run to Keystone and grab a pound or two of each of them so I'd have them in my inventory.

My first thought was not "let me see if MoreBeer has them", it was "what other local store can I go to for these?"

Hops are fairly easy to substitute (for the kinds of beers I make, anyway!), so no issues there.

I would get annoyed sometimes when a certain yeast wasn't available, in either Imperial or Omega, but I also understand the difficulties of ordering and storing *every* strain at all times. Especially during the height of the pandemic. I would sometimes substitute, or change the beer I was going to brew to something that used a yeast that I could get that week.

In the end, the folks buying everything online might be saving money today, but screwing themselves in the long run... Amazon, MoreBeer, NB, etc. can't help you when you've just mashed-in and realize something is missing or broken and you need to make a run to the homebrew shop to salvage your brewday. :(

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HOMEBREW SHOPS!
Brian,

Very helpful. I think this is a timely topic that affects all of us. The last thing we want is to see people stop brewing because they can't get or its too much work to get supplies. Anyone else want to chime in with how they manage?

I also don't see any of the Omega thiolized yeasts. Not offered? A note in their website said cosmic punch was not available.
:(

I also don't see any of the Omega thiolized yeasts. Not offered? A note in their website said cosmic punch was not available.
:(
John, This is directly from Anthony H at the Philly Homebrew Outlet(West) store:

"I'm ordering from Omega this week and will be ordering some. Those strains have typically sold much better in NJ than in Philly. So I typically keep the inventory on those lean. That being said I can absolutely get anything that Omega offers for home brewers.

Could you ask them what strain(s) in particular they are looking for? They can always just reach out to me directly. Anthony@phillyhomebrew.com or 215.596.5408"

Hope this helps.

John, This is directly from Anthony H at the Philly Homebrew Outlet(West) store:

"I'm ordering from Omega this week and will be ordering some. Those strains have typically sold much better in NJ than in Philly. So I typically keep the inventory on those lean. That being said I can absolutely get anything that Omega offers for home brewers.

Could you ask them what strain(s) in particular they are looking for? They can always just reach out to me directly. Anthony@phillyhomebrew.com or 215.596.5408"

Hope this helps.
I just had the same email exchange with Anthony today. I ordered one that they didn't have and Anthony got right back to me and said he was about to order from Omega so they should have it next week. He hooked me up with a similar yeast for my brew day on Saturday.

FYI they now have a promo as well. Online purchase use code OMEGA get 25%
aa5148c8e571a48197d67690dabbdd72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fermented in Hammonton is the only store left that I'm aware of. @Brian Pylant I don't want to spread rumors but my understanding of the PHO closure wasn't necessarily for lack of customers but other reasons mixed in. Local pick-up at Tonewood shows me they are still trying to support their customers in the area but just other factors were in play to keep the store open.

I have made friends at every shop there was/is and tried to support them all. For those closer to Hammonton I know Fermented offered order pickup at Chimney on days the store was closed. The website probably had more details. He used to offer CKBC pick-up when we were able to have meetings there.

Support local people. This goes beyond homebrew shops.

I hate seeing LBHS's close. I've seen several close down over the decades.

In my early years of brewing (late-80's, 90s), I had to go to Home Sweet Homebrew in Philly for ingredients (I was customer there even before George and Nancy bought it from a guy named Kurt I think). As far as I knew, it the only LBHS in the region. If there were other stores in the area, I didn't know about them cos there was no internet to search yet. Eventually a place in Turnersville opened, saving me the trip to Philly. But it still was kind of a long drive from Pennsauken, where I was living at the time. The Turnersville place eventually closed, and I was forced to go back to Philly. I discovered Barry's Homebrew Outlet in South Philly and and started going there cos I thought it was easier than driving (or taking the high-speed line) into Center City.

Brett Mullins opening BYOB in Westmont was a game changer because I didn't have to drive far or deal with the city. When I moved to Burlco, Keg and Barrel became my go-to for years, though I still occasionally went to BYOB, cos I wanted to support Brett as well, until he tragically passed away. I miss both those stores. If I remember correctly, PHO came about by buying Barry's business, and when they ended up opening their Jersey store, I was excited to have another option on this side of the river. But I didn't go there much cos driving there sucked, K&B was much more convenient.

Since K&B closed, I have been doing my shopping at Fermented. It's not convenient if you don't live near Hammonton, but for me it's a pleasant drive through the pines from Medford. PHO was actually closer, but I don't like driving down White Horse Pike or Route 70 with the millions of traffic lights. I hope Fermented sticks around for the long term.

I feel bad for those who live farther away from Hammonton, Philly is probably closer for most, but driving in Philly is a pain in the ass IMO. But I feel strongly about supporting the LBHS's, and if Fermented closed, I guess I'd go back to driving into Philly, even though I don't live so close to it anymore.

Back