What are you listening to?

Chris Smith

Tech Officer
So off-topic from beer brewing, what music are you listening to these days? Anything new catching your ear?

This morning I listened to this one. In my top 5 from last year:
1473263840.jpg

That's fine. Not sure if you know this or not, but there was some pretty good music made in the 60s and 70s ...

What's the last thing you played and it reminded you, damn, that was good?

Yeah, pretty much all of it was good. I'm not quite old enough to have heard the 60's stuff new, but I can vouch for hearing new stuff through most of the 70's. I discovered FM radio about '73, when it was still pretty new. Anyone heard of 'The Planet of Tierson'?
I'm not big on favorites as there are just too many, but if pressed on just one, Roundabout by Yes is a standout for me. The summer I discovered it was epic. They make the top 5 bands for me, although I'm not sure I can fit all the top 5 in 5..... I wish I'd found The Grateful Dead before '85 though. Not sure how I missed them that long.

I just can't feel the love with most newer music, and entire genre's in some cases. My son has turned me on to some newer stuff that I've enjoyed, but I couldn't tell you details. I'm terrible with names and titles, although Umphrey's Mcgee is one I recall. Mostly jam bands, and there's a whole movement of them. The Dead are surprisingly popular among that crowd even though in they are gone in the original form. I was a celebrity at a festival a couple years ago as I was the only person in the camp 'compound' that had heard them live before Jerry passed.

I'm going backwards these days.

With a lovely snow day I threw some vinyl on.

Steely Dan - Katy Lied
Traffic - Greatest Hits
Rolling Stones: Goats Head Soup

Right now: More stones: Let it Bleed

Very nice.

My vinyl playlist over the last few days was:

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers - The Independent
Elliot Smith - Either/Or
Tennis -Yours Conditionally
Jethro Tull - Stand Up

BTW, I love the new rolling stones album for those of you into blues. Dunno if I like Mick's vocals or Keith's thick guitar strings more, but they go together so well.

I love throwing on some Thousand Foot Krutch, Disciple, and Breaking Benjamin while brewing or cleaning. Will occasionally break out Living Sacrifice if I'm really in a metal mood.

Back